Saturday, October 11, 2008

Refried Beans

When Paul was on his mission in Italy, he served with a Sister from Mexico. She taught him an easy, tasty recipe for refried beans . It is, in my opinion, so much better than the canned refried beans that I grew up eating. It's also super simple.

You'll notice I use canned pinto beans. You can always start with dried beans and soak them if you want. I've done this before, but I found it didn't taste much different than starting with the whole, canned beans.

Refried Beans:

1 can pinto beans, undrained
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of oil
1 chicken boullion cube (beef also works well.)

Fry the onion in the oil over medium heat. When onions become translucent, add the pinto beans the chicken boullion cube. Cook the beans until they start to become soft and easy to mash(5-10 mins), stirring occasionally. Once beans the beans are soft, take a wooden spoon, scrape some of the beans from the center of the pot and mash them on the side. (I hope this makes sense. You could probably just use a masher, but I don't have one.) Keep mashing the beans until they reach your desired consistency.

No comments: