Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grilled Mahi Mahi


I've been working to incorporate more seafood into my diet...I hear it helps to trim the waist :) This recipe has won a spot on our regular menu. And what Mormon family doesn't love a main dish that can be served with rice!


3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
mahi mahi filets (I use this recipe for 6 filets)
Pepper to taste


Mix all ingredients except the fish in a gallon size zip lock bag or a 13X9 baking dish. Add the fish, coat with marinade and let sit for at least 20 minutes and even up to 1 hour. I use the frozen filets from Sam's Club and often forget to thaw my fish ahead of time. I rinse them in cool water to break off the outer layer of ice, add the fish to the marinade and then let them thaw on the counter while they're soaking up the marinade goodness. If your filets are thawed ahead of time, let your fish marinade in the refrigerator.


I choose to pepper after the fish has marinated as I have non-pepper eaters in the house. This way the pepper doesn't contaminate the marinade. I also think this would be awesome with fresh ginger, but I'd use less than the ground ginger as fresh can have quite a bite.


These can be pan fried, but I prefer the grill. If you pan fry, use a little oil or spray in a non-stick pan. Cook until fish flakes (about 5 minutes per side depending on thickness of filet).


You may also reserve some of the marinade before adding the fish then reduce the extra marinade in the same pan you fry your fish in to make a sauce to top your fish. We've found the extra sauce isn't necessary but can be a nice addition.
Last night, I only had 4 mahi mahi filets and I knew that would not feed my family so I threw in a couple handfuls of jumbo shrimp to marinade for 10 minutes or so. Grilled these up and they were a hit! Although, I have to admit...I think the only shrimp my family wouldn't eat is shrimp that's still frozen, but that's even questionable.

No comments: